Thursday, January 16, 2014

Somehow Korean Meatballs

I don't know how, or why... But my blog gets a lot of visitors from Korea. Trust me, this is amazing for me! I don't know how they get here, but they get, and I love it!

Husband and me, we are big fans of South Korean movies! Oldboy, The Host, Mother, Thirst... You name it, we like it! And when I told him about the korean visitors, he was as in awe as I was! So, I was looking for something korean to make, not that I wanted to teach them how to make they're food, but to show my other country visitors some of this amazing culinary.



I wanted to start slow, because is a too different cooking and I never risked myself at making some Korean food before. So, to start lightly on this road, I decided to make Korean Spicy Meatballs. But, the problem was... I couldn't find some recipe that seemed intirely korean. Interely a proper way of thanks my korean visitors. So I scaned here and there for some recipes, got together a few, and came up with my own!

That's why in the post title you read Somehow Korean Meatballs, I was afraid of twisting the recipe and becoming something not Korean at all. Well, I did it, tasted amazing, and I hope you enjoy it!

Korean Spicy Meatballs

Materials


  • 500 g ground beef
  • 1/2 white onion thinly diced
  • 2 garlic cloves thnly diced
  • 1 cup breadcrumbs
  • 1/4 milk
  • salt
  • oil to fry


Sauce

  • 1 garlic clove thinly diced
  • 6 tablespoons Soy sauce
  • 3 tablespoons honey
  • 1 teaspoon gochujan
  • 1 tablespoon sesame oil
  • 2 table spoons rice wine
  • 2 teaspoons corn starch
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons sesame seeds



Method

  • Mix all the ingredients to make the meatballs. Just enough to mix well the ingredients, don't over work them.
  • Leave them aside at the fridge for at least two hours. 
  • Roll the roll the meat in balls the size of golf balls.
  • Fry them in enough oil to half cover them. Let the meat cook, and turn to fry the other side.
  • While frying prepare the sauce. 
  • Mix the first 6 ingredients of the sauce in a small pan. 
  • Let it simmer for a few minutes, so the sauce get the garlic taste. 
  • Strain the sauce to separete the garlic and dischage it.
  • Return the sauce to the pan.
  • Sprinkle the flour over the sauce and mix contantly until start to thicken.
  • After frying, dry the meat balls in absorbent paper.
  • Place the meatballs in a plate and toss the sauce over them. 
  • Sprinkle with sesame seeds. 
Experimental observation




You can also cook the meatball in the oven. I was a little lazy for that on that day!

You can also use a grater in the onion and garlic on the meatball prepare. My husband kept separating the onion pieces because he doesn't like chewing them. I... love it!

Some recipes say that you must shape the meatballs and refrigerate them for a while to keep the shape while frying. I had no problem with that.



My Korean spicy sauce, was a mix of several korean sauces, and a recipe of marinate sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment