Monday, January 20, 2014

Beerbread with bacon and cheddar

I was wondering what to do with today's recipe in the blog. My weekend was kinda busy and started with a day off at work on friday, but this is a later on story...

What happened was, I was going to have very little time to eat at home during the weekend, So I couldn't make some special weekend lunch, or a nice dinner party. And saturday morning me and husband went out on a couch shopping. Yeah... we're in our new house for almost three months and we didn't had a couch...
That is the kind of thing that happens to this hip young new couples, who think that cushions and colorful blankets on the floor are far more bohemian than a couch... Which was totally not what happened to us! We were too busy on the week days to go shopping for a couch, and too lazy on the weekends!



When we got home, we had some spare time between going to the movies watch the new Lars Von Trier movie (which in my humble opinion, was awesome!) Felipe wanted to play with his christmas gift, a X-Box and I was still in the mood for cooking something fast so we could eat before going to the movies.

So I remembered, that is something I have been dying to bake and saw one amazing recipe on Foodgawker. And that was Beerbread (this recipe).



To me, one of the best smells that can come out of a kitchen, is the smell of a fresh fermenting bread dough. And this one even takes beer to the dough, which add a punch to the fermenting smell


Bacon and Cheddar Beerbread

Materials

  • 3 cups white flour
  • 1 teaspoon  sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
  • ½ teaspoon garlic powder
  • 150g bacon, cooked and chopped
  • 2½ teaspoon baking powder
  • 355 mL wheat beer
  • 4 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
  • 200g shredded cheddar cheese


Methods

  • Preheat the oven at 190ÂșC
  • Whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, paprika, garlic powder and baking powder and stir well. 
  • Add the bacon and cheddar cheese and mix well until everything is well coated on the mixed powders.
  • Stir in 2 tablespoons of melted butter and the beer, mix everything until is well incorporated. 
  • Butter a bread baking pan and put the dough in it
  • Spread the remaining melted butter on top of it and set in the oven until is golden brown on top.


Experimental observations

Stop and smell the roses... I mean, the dough while mixing it! Smells divine.

I added mor cheese and bacon than the recipe asked for it... Just because I'm that kind of girl.

The Beerbread dough is kinda heavy, so don't expect it to be fluffy and grow beautiful like other doughs. This one has it's own special kind of heaviness.

I served mine hot and spreaded with some cheesy butter I had laying around the house.

I didn't got the golden brown I was expecting for... Next time I'll mix one egg yolk to the melted butter to spread on top. That'll do the trick

No comments:

Post a Comment